Richard M. Stallman more fondly known as RMS, is one the most influential technology thinkers of our time.
Founder of the Free Software Foundation (FSF) , he is the author of the GNU Public License(GPL); the most popular Free Software License around.
Richard Stallman spoke on “Free Software in Ethics and in Practice” which covered
- The goals and philosophy of the free software movement
- Status and history of the GNU operating system, now used by tens of millions of users world-wide.
RMS was in Sri Lanka from the 14th to the 19th of January 2008.
16th January | 1.30 pm | EOE Pereira Theater, Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya
18th January | 10.00 am | SLIIT Auditorium, Malabe.
18th January | 4.00 pm | UCSC, Roof Top, Colombo.
Photos from RMS Visit
Blogs on RMS Visit
A very big “Thank you!” to the following for all the support and hard work to make this event a success
- PC House
Agenda for event at SLIIT
Venue: Lalith Athulathmudali auditorium, Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology, Malabe
- 0930 – 1000 Arrival and seating of the invitees
- 1000 – 1010 Welcome Speech
- 1010 – 1045 Presentations on Free software Projects
- Sahana – (Chamindra de Silva / Mifan Careem)
- Sinhala Localization (Dhanishka)
- Next Generation Desktop (Siraj Razick)
- Apache (Sanjaya Karunasena)
- 10 45 – 11 00 Desktop demonstration – (Buddhika Siddhisena – Think cube)
- 11 00 – 11 10 Arrival of the Richard M Stallman, Founder of the Free Software Foundation, followed by Drum display.
- 11 10 – 1115 Introduction to RMS – (Reshan Dewapura, ICTA)
- 11 15 – 12 45 Key note speech – Richard M Stallman
- 12 45 – 13 15 Q & A
- 13 15 – 13 30 Vote of Thank – (Dr. Koliya N. Pulasinghe – Head-IT Department / Dean – Academic Affairs SLIIT)
- 13 30 – 14 00 Opening of the Free Software Library of the SLIIT-FS Community (SLIIT – Free Software Community) and presenting souvenir Richard M Stallman Free Software Library)
- 13 30 – 15 30 Exhibition on Free software projects
(Image Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stallman)